Diagnosed with hypothyroid. Suffer concentration and memory loss. Help?

hi i am a mother to 12yr old girl who was diagnoised with hypothroid last march,although lookin back on her health before that ,i,d say she was sick a long time previous to that,she,s in 6th class in school,and struggling big time,when i say big time ,i mean with conceration,and memory loss a big problem,im really worried about this as this is affecting us all at home,is this common with this problem....please help .thanks XXXXXXX

Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this. Hypothyroidism in children typically presents with poor mental development and inability to cope with peers at school. This is because this hormone(thyroid hormones) is very important in the neurological development of the child and without it, the mental ability is never developed to its fullest with resulting consequences. For sure, this had been going on and it just got diagnosed then which supports the difficulties she has been having at school.

With the initiation of treatment, you would get an improvement but the extend would depend on how long this had been going on before intervention. One fact remains for sure that she would never be able to regain fully her mental ability.

I understand how terrible this sounds. Am XXXXXXX because I would like you to know what the reality is and understand with her when she lags behind her peers. Support her always and motivate her in every little way you can to make use of what ever abilities she has. Recognize the challenge and come to terms with it. Don't let it ruin the entire family but it should motivate and keep everyone else as helpful as possible. If she needs special education classes, try and offer her the chance to benefit from.

I hope this helps and addresses your query fully. Thank you for using our services and feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. I wish her well.I also hope that the family finds the strength to be her pillar.
Dr. Ditah, MD.