Diagnosed with hypothyrodism. Taking Synroid. Considering HCG drops. Continue?

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and been taking Synroid 0.1MG daily for about a year. I am considering doing the HCG diet (drops). Are there any issues that I should be concerned about? Should I continue taking my perscription while on the diet?
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 30 minutes later
Thanks for sharing concerns,
You are known case of hypothyroidism and taking Synthyroid 0.1 mg/day.I am glad to know that you are taking your medicine regularly.

I can understand your concern about your weight; you should continue your Thyroid supplementation regularly.
Please let me know result of Thyroid function, and your height and weight?

Let me explain about HCG diet, severe restriction of calories in diet is not good and difficult to sustain for long duration. There is no substantial evidence that HCG increases weight loss beyond that resulting from caloric restriction. There is risk of electrolytes imbalance and gallstone formation.

If you want to lose weight, reduce your daily intake by 500 calories. Over the course of a 15 days, that is >7000 calories, which is the loss of a Kilogram. Gradual weight loss is the way to do it.You can add exercise like brisk walking for 60 minutes daily to have better result.

Please visit this link, WWW.WWWW.WW Hope this information is helpful to you, please let me know if you need any clarification.

With Best Regards.
Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with hypothyrodism. Taking Synroid. Considering HCG drops. Continue? 22 hours later
Are there any additional dangers/risks if I take hcg while on synthroid?
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later
Thanks for your follow up, you want to know additional dangers of hypothyroidism treated with supplementation; if such patients go on low calories diet weight loss may be slow. You need to monitor your TSH level closely because it may show variations.

The dangers can include muscle weakness, fast and irregular heart rate, deficiency of vitamins and micronutrient.

You should understand such claims are not supported by scientific studies; it is my sincere advice not to go for such severe calories restrictive diet.
Hope I have addressed all your concerns, if there is any doubt please let me know, I will be happy to help.

Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.