Diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Is thyronorm and thyroup correct medication?

I want to know, is thyronorm and thyroup 12 used for under active or over active thyroidism?? My dad is diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, but the doctor has prescribed these two drugs for him. while i google search about the drugs and the results showed they are for under active, whereas my dad needs a drug that reduces the thyroid secretion. I am not sure about it. Please help.
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 24 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well, looking into your problem you have rightly said that both Thyronorm and Thyroup 12 are drugs that contain Thyroxine sodium and Levothyroxine respectively and these are drugs used to replace the throxine hormone in the body. These drugs are generally used in hypothyroidism or under active thyroid .

I will suggest you to consult an Endocrinologist. There are plenty of modalities to treat HYperthyroidism , like Methimazole , Carbimazole, Beta blockers for controling symtoms like palpitation etc. Sometimes surgeries are also required. The treatment is usually tailored according to individual.

Kindly seek medical help at earliest and if you have hyperthyroidism kindly hold Thyronorm until you see a specialist.

Thank you .

Wish you a good health.

Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Is thyronorm and thyroup correct medication? 24 minutes later

Thanks for the answer. Well, i have a few doubt. If TSH or T4 levesl are high, this means it is hypothyroidism or under active right? and, the vice versa. Tsh levels low indicates hyperthyrodism.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 4 hours later

In hyperthyroidism S. TSH levels are low and T3 AND T4 Levels will be high.
In hypothyroidism S. TSH levels are high and T3 AND T4 Levels will be low.
This is a general concept but when thyroid disorder due to pituitary issues ( secondary thyroid problems) these tests may not follow this rule but that is a rare situation.

Thank you.

Dr. Shruti