Diagnosed with hypertensive. Having headache and blurred vision. Suggest some effective medicine

Hi Doctor

I am 44 years old and was diagnosed hypertensive a year ago. Readings were in the range of 150/100 and was put on Cardace 5mg twice a day. I continued to have headaches, blurred vision on and off over the year and finally consulted another physician. He did a Ambulatory BP review for 24 hrs and has changed my medicine to Amlong 5 mg and 2.5mg in the night.....
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 21 minutes later
Cardace is ramipril and is the back bone of antihypertensive treatment.
Amlodipine is an add on drug and per se alone is not recommended for resistant hypertension. It causes headache as a side effect in some patients, so better to start at lower dose say 2.5mg BD.
I think you should get your CBC and Renal function tests and restart the Cardace in previous doses and continue the amlong also and get the BP checked every 3rd day mornings to fine tune the doses. All medicines should be taken in physician supervision.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.
Wish you a good health.