Diagnosed with hypertension. Took Amlopdipine Besylate and having high BP. Severe cramps in legs. Could I take Amlopidine?

Female, age 80. About 120 lbs. I've been recently diagnosed with hypertension. RX Amlopdipine Besylate 5mg. Took for three days, ended up in hospital with high blood pressure. Stableized sent home. Rx Triamterene 37.5mg/HCTZ 25mg caps. Took for three days, severe cramps in legs at night, other symptoms continue irregularly. Learned there's sulfa in Triam. Have allergy to sulfa drugs. PCP Rx now Atenelol, but haven't received from pharmacy yet. Off schedule with meds. Feeling symptoms of rising blood pressure, headache ringing in ears, foggy brain. While waiting for Rx to be filled, should I take Amlopidine tab 10:00 p.m. (off schedule) to try to head off serious emergency requiring hospital again?
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...You may take it but only after you are confirmed that your blood pressure is high.
Detailed answer...
Although you know best about your symptoms of rising blood pressure but best would be to check  your blood pressure and then take amplodepine 10 mg,in case it is found to be high.
In case it is normal,then you can take some anxiolytic like XANAX ( alprazolam ) .5 mg to take care of your symptoms.
I don't want you to take amplodepine 10 mg without checking your BP because if it is normal,then amlodepine may lower it to uncomfortable levels.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Diagnosed with hypertension. Took Amlopdipine Besylate and having high BP. Severe cramps in legs. Could I take Amlopidine? 27 minutes later
Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX I decided not to wait for answer. Took 1/4 of 25mg tab Alprazolam. Your recommendation confirms my decision.
My first time at Alprazolam. Physician said to take "only when needed," or 8 hours apart. Never suffered anxiety in the past, but never had to deal with odd symptoms of hypertension before either ;^) Hoping just a quarter will do the trick overnight, then will call PCP tomorrow. Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 minutes later
I hope it should settle your symptoms.
Best of luck to you.
You are most welcome to ask any query any time.