Diagnosed with hsv 2. Is it safe to perform falatio?

Me and my husband both have hsv 2. I want to know if/how I can perform falatio? It has become a major issue in our relationship as before we were diagnosed, I did it all the time. have tried condoms.... he feels nothing. Please help? How to know when shedding or can I just do it when he's not outbreaking?
Posted Wed, 17 Oct 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 13 minutes later
Since both of you have HSV2 its of little relevance to abstain from oral sex.HSV 2 is usually genital herpes.The period of shedding is highest when the the outbreak occurs in the form of blisters.
At that time,or any other time,for that matter there is a chance of transmission of the virus,causing oral herpes.Even if the blisters are not seen,transmission may occur.Hence, keeping in mind the possibility of infection of the mouth, oral sex cab be done.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with hsv 2. Is it safe to perform falatio? 1 hour later
Ok so I'm confused. You say it's of little relevance to abstain but then you say even if blisters are not seen, transmission may occur. I've read that HSV2 is harder to get on your mouth. It took us a long time to get back to where we could be comfortable just even having regular sex. I'm just trying to find a middle ground. Thank you for your advice.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 41 minutes later
Since you both are infected already, then prevention is not the point here. You can be infected for a long time depending on the viral load.Sometimes the virus may remain in your body forever. You may have several 'outbreaks' over the years. The shedding occurs when the blisters break out.But even if blisters are not seen, transmission of the virus may occur from one part of the body to another. HSV 2 normally affects the genitals but it may affect the oral cavity also.Rare but possible.
Hence you need to keep in mind this possibility before the act.
I hope you can understand what i'm trying to explain and make an informed decision.