Diagnosed with high BP, on medication. Still BP high. Suggest?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Hi. My mum has been disgnosed with high bp. She is on medication for it, 1 tablet a day. We have a bp machine at home so we tend to monitor it daily .

Her readings are between 132-145. She does have the occasional reading of 150 if she is stressed or something . Are these readings safe?
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Borderline BP.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Blood pressure is measured by 2 readings. A systolic, the upper reading, and a diastolic, the lower reading. I assume the readings you mentions are the upper readings. Generally, blood pressure is considered high if readings are consistently on or above 140/90 on separate occasions. The isolated high reading is not a cause for concern. You do not state what the blood pressure tablet is that your mother takes or her age or other health issues.
I would consider your mother's blood pressure to be borderline high. An upper reading of 145 would suggest this. However, if this is only very occasionally then you need not be worried, the tablet is controlling her BP fairly well.
Certain aspects of lifestyle can increase the likelihood of complications related to a high BP. Obesity, caffeine, a high salt intake and smoking increase risk.
I would suggest you continue monitoring your mother's BP. Three to four times per day evenly spaced out would be best. When you have a week's readings, if you still have concerns that there are readings over 140/90 then a visit to your GP would be appropriate to discuss whether the current treatment is adequate.
I hope this is helpful. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
Follow-up: Diagnosed with high BP, on medication. Still BP high. Suggest? 21 hours later
Hi thanks

My own bp seems to be 95-100 top number. I am 33 yrs this too low?
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 2 hours later
A systolic reading of 95-100 is fine providing you feel OK and not dizzy. For some people a reading at this level may be associated with dizziness and if this was the case, it would indicate the reading was too low.
Hope this helps.
Dr K A Pottinger,