Diagnosed with hiatal hernia. Have bloating, burning on chest, difficulty sleeping and eating. Taking ayurvedic medicine

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I am 34, female diagnosed with mild to moderate hiatal hernia. My major symptoms for the past 3 months are excessive bloating, burning and pressure on chest towards left which makes me difficult sleeping and eating. I lost my appetite mainly due to fear of the discomfort after any meals. I cant sleep flat on bed lately as I have pressure and pinching sensation. I have started ayurvedic medicines like Indukantham and drakshadi and seems like helping a little but still not to have a good sleep. And also not too sure if this could solve the root problem. Lack of sleep and discomfort leads to depression and I cant carry on daily activities as normal. Please advise if this problem is permanent, the cause which I couldn't identify and how could I overcome without any surgery.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mild to Moderate can be managed conservatively

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in
Mild to moderate hernia can be taken care of conservatively

Take a good Proton Pump Inhibittor with Domperidone twice a day and follow the tips mentioned below.

If this does not help you may need to go for a surgical repair
Any way yes it is a permanent problem

1] Avoid spicy, fermented meals
2] Do not have heavy meals
3] Avoid smoking and alcohol
4] Wear loose clothes
5] Do not stoop
6] Do not lift heavy weights
7] Raise the head end of your bed
8] If Obese lose weight
9] If under stress - Manage stress levels by meditation and exercise

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern