Diagnosed with hiatal hernia. Have GERD. What to do?

Question
I have recently been diagnoised with a hiatal hernia. I have GERD and always feel like I need to cough after eating ,drinking ,or just breathing. What can I do to reduce this hernia , treat it , fix it , etc.
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Hiatal hernia symptoms should go away with the right treatment which is by medicines or surgical approach (Nissan fundoplication) and the following lifestyle measures:

1)     Try raising the head of her bed about four inches with blocks. She should also avoid wearing tight pants.
2)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before she lies down or goes for her soccer match.
3)     To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.
4)     Also she can take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then she may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole after consulting your doctor.

Regarding the specific treatment, the answer lies in Nissan fundoplication. In a fundoplication, the gastric fundus (upper part) of the stomach is wrapped, or plicated, around the lower end of the esophagus and stitched in place, reinforcing the closing function of the lower esophageal sphincter.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with hiatal hernia. Have GERD. What to do? 2 hours later
Is surgery XXXXXXX for hiatal hernia? Also another question? I have a prolapsed bladder and MD says I need surgery. Is there something else to do and if not is this surgery safe. Can you have a tummy tuck with this surgery?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 24 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Every surgery has its own complications and Nissen fundoplication is commonly done for hiatal hernia. Complications include "gas bloat syndrome", dysphagia (trouble swallowing), dumping syndrome, excessive scarring, vagus nerve injury, and rarely, achalasia.

Follow the lifestyle measures that i have mentioned above and take medicines like omeprazole after consulting your doctor. Surgery should be adopted as last resort.

You can get other surgeries like gastric band or tummy tuck done after Nissen fundoplication.