Diagnosed with herpes and no medicine prescribed. Should I consult another doctor?

Information on herpesI've been going to my doctor for years and always tested negative for everything all the sudden I go to the gynecologist and she tested and she said that I have herpes 1&2 but didn't give me any information on anything no medication so I don't know what I should do should I go to another doctor and see what they say please help I don't know what to do . and can you die from this if it's on treat it .
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 7 hours later
Hello, I am happy to help you with your question.

First of all, please clarify what test was done. Was this a blood test?
Why was the test done?

And if you just have herpes, and don't have any other significant health issues, then it is NOT a problem that you can die from.

Let me know the answers to my questions and I will continue to try and help you!
Follow-up: Diagnosed with herpes and no medicine prescribed. Should I consult another doctor? 3 days later
no sir there was no blood work done I when for my yearly check up and that's what she told me when she came back in the room but I have been getting a rash my lower legs that always itch I don't know if that has anything to do with it if so can you please tell me what I need to do and take .
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 40 minutes later
Thank you for the followup.

First of all, the rash on your legs has nothing to do with it. Here are the reasons that you need to find a new doctor:

1. When someone comes in and tells you that you have a sexually transmitted disease and then offers no explanation or treatment options it is considered bad care. You do not deserve to be treated like this
2. There is no test that can be done for HSV1 or HSV2 where the results are available at the SAME visit. Maybe they saw something?

Something is not right here. So that you get appropriate clarification of the issue, get a copy of the results and go to a new doctor!!

I hope that this helps.