Diagnosed with herpes. Having itching and a small cut on labia. Prescribed with valtrex. Itching not subsiding. Suggest the cure?

Mar 2016

My OBGYN took a culture & the diagnosis came back positive for herpes. I had no symptoms besides iching and a small looking cut (looks like a razor cut) on my labia. She prescribed Valtrex. This is my 4th day on Valtrex and haven't noticed the iching subside. If anything, it's worse. I want to get a blood test to be sure I am positive for this virus. Is it possible to have a false positive on the culture? Is the blood test more accurate? Also, what would you suggest is causing this iching still?
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Combined blood test & culture is more accurate.

Detailed Answer:

Genital herpes is often difficult to diagnose & may be confused with other diseases as it is not always seen with classical symptoms. Most women remain asymptomatic & in latent phase. However, combined clinical examination and laboratory investigation is more conclusive to confirm the diagnosis.

Now, come to your case. You have mostly latent phase of genital herpes due to presence of single lesion with itching. Also culture is positive for herpes.

1) False positive culture test is much rare but it can happen, depending on test method and laboratory.

2) Combination of culture and blood test is more accurate to diagnose latent phase or asymptomatic genital herpes. You can undergo following blood test:

a) Direct fluorescent antibody (DFA) test or Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) to detect virus.
b) New test Immunodot Glycoprotein-G Specific (IgG) HSV test is more than 98% specific in differentiating HSV 1 & 2.

3) Itching is common with genital herpes but it can occur with sweating, tight underwear, chemical subs/ bath products/ soap etc. You have to eliminate these predisposing factors at the earliest.

Here, you would continue anti-viral medication (Valtrex) as prescribed by your OBGYN. Additionally, you will take anti-histamine medication like levocetirizine etc & apply anti-bacterial cream to reduce itchiness. Take local hot compression and maintain genital hygiene properly.

Hope, I have answered your queries. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health. Good luck.

Dr Soumen