Diagnosed with hernia. Ultrasound report showed lower abdominal incisional hernia. Surgery needed?

General Surgeon
My sister-in-law is diagnosed with hernia. Her Ultra sound report reads ' Incisional Hernia of neck 17mm seen in the right lower abdomen'

Is this a severe condition which requires immediate surgery, Is laproscopic or key hole surgery possible in such a case? Her doctor has suggested cutting open the abdomen to put a net and also to remove her uterus. She is 41 years old. So we are worried that such major surgery and removing uterus will delay recovery and weaken her considerably. Can you please advice if we have an option of laproscopy and removing uterus is necessary,

I am not sure if this ultrasound report information I am providing is sufficient to understand the patient condition and if any more information is needed. Kindly let me know if more info is needed.
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 18 hours later

First, I would like to know what symptoms your sister in law is having.

As far as incisional hernia is concerned you can very well opt for laparoscopic/key hole surgery. It is considerably expensive as compared to open surgery in this case as the mesh needed in lap surgery is way expensive. However, post op morbidity, time to get back to work and pain is way less in lap surgery.

I am not sure why your doctor advised you for hysterectomy/ removal of uterus!! Does she have any symptoms related to it?

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Dr. Rajat Gupta
Follow-up: Diagnosed with hernia. Ultrasound report showed lower abdominal incisional hernia. Surgery needed? 5 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for the reply. My sister-in-law had the following symptoms:

1. A big lump near her C-section cuts at right lower abdomen and
2. Severe pain in the abdomen especially when she is doing household work for relatively longer time, sometimes she has to lie down for 2-3 hours for the pain to subside.

The doctor suggested her to remove uterus as otherwise there is a chance of heavy bleeding after the operation. Also he did not suggest laproscopy for her as he said there is a chance of recurrence if she does laproscopy.

Can you please give your views on this? Please let me know if any more info is needed.
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 10 hours later
Sorry for replying late..

To say recurrence is common after lap surgery is factually wrong.. Chances of recurrence after doing a good open or lap surgery is same. However the morbidity and pain post lap surgery is way less.. And you get 4/5 small incisions each not more than 1 cm.. However in open surgery the scar is bigger..!! However, do consider the cost factor before making a decision..

I still do not understand why the doctor councilled for hysterectomy as the present symptoms are most likely due to hernia only. Moreover to say that post surgery she will have uterine bleeding may not be correct.
I would advise you to consult a good laparoscopic surgeon near you.

Hope I have solved all your questions. Feel free to ask if you still have more doubts :-)

Dr Rajat Gupta
Follow-up: Diagnosed with hernia. Ultrasound report showed lower abdominal incisional hernia. Surgery needed? 19 hours later

Hello Doctor,

Thanks very much, you have cleared all the doubts, It is clear we take a second opinion from a laproscopic surgeon.
One last question , Do you know/suggest a good doctor in Kolkatta that we can consult, also can you give an rough idea of cost of both open and lap surgeries?

Best Regards
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 26 minutes later

I am not sure I know someone in Kolkata. And I can't say about cost as it varies in different hospitals. But the difference between open and lap mesh will be approx 30 thousand atleast.

Hope this helps.
Do give your feedback...

Dr Rajat Gupta