Diagnosed with hepatitis C. Joint swellings in wrist and feet. Feels like broken joint. Medical cure for this?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi,l am a 63 yr old male,diagnosed with hep C,more than 12 months ago,have had several blood tests and 3 liver scans, the jelly and scanner type. l have received no updates recently but l would like to know if the painful joint swellings usually in my wrists and feet,thankfully never simultaniously, that feel as if there is a broken joint and make it impossible for me to go too work could be asymptomatic symptoms of my hep C , my doctor tells me that the only way l could have been infected was in the 1960,s when l dabbled with intravenous drugs, as l have never had a blood transfusion.The painful joint attacks are becoming more frequent of late.
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
thanks for writing in.
Hep C infection is known to cause arthritic changes and pain. The treatment is symptomatic.In severe cases steroids may be indicated.
You have been rightly advised by your doctor with regards to the origin of infection.
The status of the liver needs to be assessed. If cirrhotic changes have already set in then nothing much can be done. But if inflammatory changes are still present in the liver as confirmed by biopsy then a course of antiviral therapy can be helpful to a great extent. This can also help in relieving the arthritic pain as well.
I hope this answers your query.