Diagnosed with heart palpitation. Feeling weak and disoriented. Heartbeats faster and high BP. Getting botox for cervical dystonia

Jan 2013

I am a 26 year old male 6ft 230lbs. A couple yearrs ago i was taken to the hospital by paramedics who thought i was in cardiac arrest but hospital diagnosed me with heart palpitations. To this day atleast one to two times a day my heart races and i get weak feeling and disoriented. I can even see my heart beat through my shirt and during the spells blood pressure is average of 135/100 but goes back to normal after the spell. I also have been getting botox the last 9 months for mild cervical dystonia and migraines. Is this heart situation normal?
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 42 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with mentioned.
Do you have fever/ joints pain/ skin lesions/ respiratory distress/ chest pain/ cough with sputum production?
Do you have swelling in feet / dry skin?
What was the doctors opinion when you were previously admitted in hospital? Was there any presence of arrhythmia?

Heart beat feeling is known as palpitations.
Palpitations could be due to heart conduction system defect or due to hormonal disorders.
Heart beat originate in SA node and spread to other part of heart by conduction system.
Defect in conduction system may cause missed beats or extra beats for feeling of palpitations.
Palpitations could also be due to hormonal disorders such as hypo/ hyperthyroidism, cushings syndrome, pheochromocytoma.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ cardiologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for complete blood count, thyroid profile, serum ACTH level, serum epinephrine and Norepinephrine level, serum electrolytes.
You should also go for electrocardiography, 2 D Echo, electrophysiological studies of heart for better clarification.

Treatment depends on exact diagnosis.

You should take Anti arrhythmic drugs properly if above prescribed investigations are found to be positive for heart rhythm disturbances.

If above prescribed investigations are found to be normal, then there could be possibility of panic attacks and you should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ psychiatrist.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava