Diagnosed with heart enlargement, on medication, lost weight. How effective is ozone therapy to cure general weakness?

General Surgeon
Question
How does ozone therapy help to cure general weakness? My mother is 65 yrs old and has been diagnosed with heart enlargement and is on medication for the same. She has lost a lot of weight due to this in the last four months. Presently she weighs 35 kgs. the weight has stabilized now. But her physician suggests ozone therapy for curing physical weakness.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh 4 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Ozone therapy is adjuvant to other method of treatments. This therapy involves release of singlet oxygen containing powerful antioxidant activities that stimulates metabolism, immune system and vascular system - it relaxes blood vessels, opens up new capillaries and improves circulation; burns toxins and provides more oxygen to cells which rejuvenates body functions.

In your mother's case, the reduction of weight may be due to medications used in heart disease - diuretics used in some cases cause depletion of accumulated water from body and reduce body weight.

I encourage you to discuss with your treating doctor about her current condition. Ozone therapy is taken as preventive and is not curative; establishing a cause can help us in treating it.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other concern.

I wish your mother remains healthy.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with heart enlargement, on medication, lost weight. How effective is ozone therapy to cure general weakness? 20 hours later
Good morning doc! My mother has been prescribed with
1. PAN-D (10mg) - 1 tablet per day on an empty stomach
2. DYTOR(20mg) - 1 tablet per day
3. ALDACTONE (25mg) - 2tablets per day
4. LANOXIN (0.25mg) - 5 days a week &
5. NUROSTIM - 1 tablet per week.
My mother complains dizziness & feeling of nausea all day. She has lost her appetite. Is it an after effect of these medicines? Will these symptoms subside after some time or should some other medication along with these need to be given so that she can eat properly? She has been asked to take these medicines for 3 months before her next check-up.

Hi and thanks again,

The medicine prescribed to your mother is associated with myriad of side effects including dizziness and nausea. Often these medications are associated with electrolyte imbalance resulting in dizziness, nausea, drowsiness, reduced activity as well as appetite.

As her symptoms seem severe, I do not suggest you to wait for 3 months. I encourage you to review with your prescribing doctor at the earliest. Few relevant investigations such as complete blood counts, serum electrolyte, renal functions and others are warranted. Symptoms can be treated with adequate changes in her medication following the results of the tests.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Best Regards