Diagnosed with graves disease. Am I able to claim disability living allowance for this condition?

Psychiatrist
Question
I have been diagnois with graves'disease, would I be able to claim disability living allowance for this condition?
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
I would like to know a few more details to serve you better:
1) How long has it been so?
2) Are you having any problems in your daily living (activities of daily living) cause of this condition?
Hope to hear from you soon,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Follow-up: Diagnosed with graves disease. Am I able to claim disability living allowance for this condition? 7 hours later
1. Cpndition started in January this year, prior to that I have been having periods which lasted for 3 months.

2. Yes, this condition is causing a lot of problems in my day living, eg. getting heart palpations whilst doing housework, yesterday whilst trying to serve food to my children, my hands gave-away dropping the plates on the floor, having burns on myself whilst trying to cook.....not sleeping, and my eyes are very bulged, and lastly constantly tired all the time..... I am also full-time carer to my boys who are autistic, one of the child also has ADHD and sleeping disorders.....find it very difficult to give them my full attention....
I was able to give 100% care to my children, now I only can give them 30%/.....

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 hours later
Thanks for the detailed explanation that you have given.
I went through all your problem in detail but unfortunately, I dont think that graves disease with the kind of impairment that you have sated will get you disability benefit. When trying to calculate the disability, they will not be able to get the objective measure of disability.
However laws of different countries differ. You should always give it a try to find out if you are eligible for the same. Do contact your local GP for the same.
Also try stressing for having depressive symptoms cause of your illness.
Hope I am able to solve your concerns.
Thanks and regards,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy