Diagnosed with gout. Having lot of inflamation, skin itiching, leg pain and giddiness. Any suggestion?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello Doctor,

One of my family member was diagonised with GOUT and he has been prescribed the below tablets, for 3 times a day:
1. Cefixime 200mg tabs,
2. Linezolid 600mg tabs,
3. Allopurinol 300mg tabs,
4. Febuxostat 80mg tab,
5. Microsid 75mg tabs,
6. Cobolamine tabs,
7. Vetrine tabs.

Initially there was a lot of inflamation and skin itiching and leg pain increased, but now the inflamation still persists with little pain too. Lately since two days, he has been having very low sugar levels resulting in lot of giddiness..Today morning he had very heavy giddiness to an extent that when he opened his eyes, there was black out and more intense giddiness. Kindly suggest which tablets he can discontinue.
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 59 minutes later
Cefixime and Linezolid are both antibiotics. Since there is no infection in the area, these antibiotics can be discontinued after consulting his orthopedician.
Allopurinol, Febuxostat and Microsid are specific medicines used for Gout and will help in reducing the inflammation. These must be continued till complete relief.
Cobalamine and cetrine tablets are to reduce the local itching and nerve related symptoms. A clinical examination is necessary to regulate the medicines and their doses.
To overcome the low blood sugar levels, he must be given frequent electrolyte XXXXXX energy drinks and get his blood glucose levels monitored regularly to rule out Diabetes.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with gout. Having lot of inflamation, skin itiching, leg pain and giddiness. Any suggestion? 40 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXX

Thank you for the reply. That helps.

He is continuining with just the gout related tablets.

But I am worried about his health. He is become so weak that he fell at home yesterday. Do you suggest anything to improve his immunity and get to normal health?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
To improve the immunity, he should start taking plenty of Vitamin C in his diet. Taking adequate electrolyte XXXXXX fluids and fruit juices on a regular basis will be helpful.
These measures will also help in increasing uric acid excretion from the body.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.