Diagnosed with genital herpes in buttocks and anus, swollen glands in neck, bleeding gums following fondling with an escort. Can saliva transmit HIV virus?

Question
Hi doctor, sorry to take your time but I am worried. I wnt on a business trip in Dubai and encountered an escort, wha we did is fondling. Which included a lot of licking on my back as well as some rimming and fingering as she was using saliva. No intercourse or other forms of activities were performed. I have since been diagnosed with genital herpes in the buttocks and anus have told my wife and on medication. I have tender and somewhat swollen glands on and off in the neck, bleeding gums when brushing, some kind of sore throat and am now worried about HIV. Is this indicative, she may have had bleeding gums when she infected me with herpes although not profoundly. Thanks a lot I have not been the same around my daughters since and it's killing me.
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 25 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Saliva can transmit viruses of HIV and herpes.
Your lesions are herpetic. The gum bleeding is a bit unusual in herpes.
Are there herpetic lesions around the lips/ mouth? Do you have fever?

The neck glands can enlarge secondary to infection.

HIV infection and manifestations depend on the duration from the sexual act till now.
If it very short period since then, AIDS manifestations may not occur.

You should get thoroughly evaluated, get hemogram done to see platelet count (since gum bleed+), urine routine, liver function tests, RFTs.

You should complete anti-viral treatment for herpes and avoid intimate physical contacts.

Please consult a venereologist to get checked up for HIV infection.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at http://bit.ly/Dr-Prasad-Akole
Good Luck!

It helps us to improve continuously if you could please write a rating review before you ‘accept’ and ‘close’ the query.
Thank you!!

Follow-up: Diagnosed with genital herpes in buttocks and anus, swollen glands in neck, bleeding gums following fondling with an escort. Can saliva transmit HIV virus? 12 minutes later
Thanks for your feedback, act was 2 weeks ago, never new that saliva transfers. I may have had half a day of fever 3 days ago, 11 days after the act but that's it. I am really worried for HIV what are the chances with what you know. Thanks

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 10 minutes later
If HIV infected saliva has made a good contact with a breached area of the skin or mucous membranes (lining of XXXXXXX cavity of anus, mouth etc.), it may inoculate the virus and infection can occur after an incubation period of variable duration.

It depends on the inoculum size, integrity of the area contacted, immunity of the person etc.

Within 2 weeks, it is difficult to diagnose HIV infection. But you may be in the window period.

I would recommend you to see a skin and venereal diseases specialist or a HIV specialist and get evaluated. Blood tests become positive after a variable window period.

Herpes is treatable. so do not worry about it. Just complete the treatment under due medical guidance.

I hope this helps. Take care !!