Diagnosed with gastritis and hiatus hernia. Stopped taking nexium. Having difficulty in breathing. Echocardiogram and EKG were normal

I was diagnosed with gastritis, hiatal hernia probably mild because I don't need surgery and esophagitis just last week by EGD and in July. I had very bad side effects from Nexium in July so I stopped it for 3 months and 6 weeks ago I started having difficulty breathing so I ended up in ER but blood work, EKG , echocardiogram and chest X-ray and CT of chest were are normal. Since I stopped medication for 3 months could my gastritis got worse causing my shortness of breath. I read that the inflammation of my stomach cause cause some organs like diaphragm to be pushed up. When I am lying down or in a recline position , I am not short of breath. Only when I sit up straight and standing up. PLEASE help me because my GI doctor doesn't believe that it's from my gastritis. I can't work anymore because I can't breath. I took prevacid 15 mg for 25 days but didn't improve and I just started dexilant 60 mg on 2nd day now and will continue if there's no side effects. Also, I have belching everytime I eat and even drink one sip of water always, gnawing pain, bloating. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 4 hours later
Brief Answer: new regimen for dypepsia and assessment for asthma Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX,..... Welcome to health care magic. The problem of acidity and hiatus hernia is a bad combination. The symptoms of dyspepsia in the scenario of hiatus hernia are very difficult to handle and an expert physician should only manage the situation by making appropriate changes in your medication. It is strange to know that Pantoprazole caused side effects. Dexilant also a PPI and has got similar efficacy and side effects profile. You should consult a local local gastroenterologist and request him to start you on a combination of PPIs & H2 blocker, some patients with this combination are helped by an addition of anti depressant medicine. You should also try the relaxation techniques and behavioral modifications. You should add regular exercises to your schedule and don't take any food or liquid like water, juice or milk etc, 2hours prior going to bed. It will help your stomach to remain empty and will reduce the problem of regurgitation. The problem of shortness of breath may be related to micro aspiration related to hiatus hernia and regurgitation during sleep. Or it may be due to an unrelated problem like hyper reactive airways or new onset bronchial asthma. Ideally you should get a personal interview and physical and clinical examination by a local physician and get the work up after that. l hope the advice will be helpful for you.