Diagnosed with gastritis. Having abdominal pain, no appetite and nausea. Taking omeprazole. Prognosis?

I have been diagnosed with gastritis after >1 week upper stabbing abdominal pain, no appetite and nausea. The pain started in the upper middle and now is on the right mainly which goes through to my back. The pain is also now in the left at times as well as my lower back and in my chest. I'm worried I may have been wrongly diagnosed because I didn't mention that I'm also having chest pain (which has been on and off for about a year) and a lot of itching around my abdomen and my back. Are these all symptoms of gastritis? I was diagnosed by a nurse practitioner at an NHS walk in centre (my GP was off sick) who prescribed omeprazole for 2 weeks. She was lovely but it was all very rushed. Should I go to my GP for a second opinion or wait until the end of my course? Thank you
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 21 minutes later

You mention that you were seen by a nurse practitioner.

She probably examined your abdomen, but I am not sure if any blood tests were done. Your description of stabbing abdominal pain located in the upper mid abdomen and now radiating to the back, to me, does not sound like just gastritis.

I would be concerned about peptic ulcer (Duodenal ulcer) or even acute pancreatitis. If former, Omeprazole may help by reducing the acid. If latter, pain could get worse associated with nausea and vomiting etc.

You might need to have some initial blood work to include complete blood count, metabolic profile and serum amylase and lipase to rule out pancreatitis. You may also need an x-ray of your upper Gastro Intestinal tract and a sonogram of your gallbladder to make sure you don't have gallstones which could cause pancreatitis.

I encourage you to contact your physician to discuss these.

I wish you well.