Diagnosed with gallbladder stone. Advised for Laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Advice?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi... My mother has been diagnosed with Galbladder stone with maximum stone size of 12mm. Doctor has advised for Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy. I have a few questions regarding this. I am based out of Bangalore and need some useful tips where I can get this done
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Nitin Rao 2 hours later

As I believe that more information can help a physician help a patient better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a. Does your mother have any symptoms related to her gallstones like pain, dyspepsia (indigestion) or any stomach issues?
b. Does she suffer from diabetes or hypertension (increased blood pressure)?
c. Is she currently taking any medication?
d. Has she undergone any surgery in the past?

I would like to inform you that every patient with a gallstone does not need surgery. However, patients who are symptomatic surely will benefit from laparoscopic cholecystectomy.

If she needs cholecystectomy, I would be able to help with the places where you can get it done in Bangalore (depending on where you stay in Bangalore).

Awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Diagnosed with gallbladder stone. Advised for Laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Advice? 2 days later
Please find my the answers to your question.

1. Yes, she frequently complains about stomach indigestion, bloats frequestly and have pain on the left side of the lower abdomen.

2. She is not diabetic and her bload pressure is also under control. Last time we checked it was a little on the higer side. 140/70

3. Doctor have adviced some medicines and she is already taking them currently. The names are listed below:

Pantodac, Buscopon, Amlong 2.5 mg and Ornibazole & Ofloxacin, and Mucaine Syrup

4. She has not gone any surgery previously except 3 C-Section surgery which she underwent 30-40 years back.

I would be visiting Dr. XXXXXXX Mehta, MS. FRCS of Fortis Hospital in Nagarbhavi today. She the hospital is too far from my place (Marathalli); can you suggest some good doctor near to my place?

My other query is can we wait till April 1st week to get her operated. What are the associated risks if any.

Answered by Dr. Nitin Rao 2 hours later

Looking at the history a cholecystectomy (removal of gall bladder) seems to help your mother.

I am located at M.S. Ramaiah Memorial Hospital near Mekri circle.

The success of the surgery along with patient outcome depends on various factors, most important are the experience of the surgeon and the technology he uses. If you are interested in a place closer to yourself then would suggest Manipal hospital. The team at Manipal is well experienced and technically advanced. Dr. Bhat, Dr. Dubey are good names in this faculty.

Yes you could wait till April if the doctor examines and confirms the benign nature of it. I think it would be good to decide about this after a thorough discussion with the examining doctor.

Let me know if you wish me to assist you further.

Dr Nitin Rao