Diagnosed with gallbladder infection. On antibiotic. Noticed bright yellow stool. What should I do?

Three weeks ago I ended up in hospital with a gallbladder infection shown by blood tests. The first doctor I saw said she would prescribe antibiotics but she went off duty and the second one said he didn't believe in antibiotics. I was told to go home and a scan would be arranged as an outpatient. I went to the doctors this Monday as I now had pain on my left side as well as my right side with a feeling of being squeezed. This doctor said it sounded like the infection had spread to my pancreas and gave me antibiotics. I have been back to my GP surgery again today as I do not feel as if I am improving. I saw a different doctor who said my blood test was not abnormal for my pancreas but that I am slightly anaemic. She has prescribed pain killers and has ordered more blood tests. When I go to the toilet my stools are bright yellow. What do I do now?
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
I am at a loss to see that you were not admitted to the
hospital after an acute gallbladder attack and treated for
that. Acute Cholecystitis as it is called can be very serious
with possibility of rupture of the gallbladder and peritonitis,
intra-abdominal spread of infection and blood poisoning.
Gangrene of the gallbladder can happen.
If you have a lot of gallstoones, one or more of them can
block the channel that carries the bile to the intestine
resulting in yellow jaundice etc.
Anemia may be a separate issue altogether or may be
related to the infection.
Here ,in USA , you would have had ultrasound, CT-scan
as soon as you arrived in the Emergency room and put
on intravenous fluids and IV antibiotics, surgical consultation
would be ordered.
I hope I have given enough information for you to contact
and discuss with your doctor immediately.
Wish you the very best.