Diagnosed with foveal hypoplasia. Chances of developing cataract. Is it curable?

Ophthalmologist
Question

My son of 9 years was detected with foveal hypoplasia when he was about 4 years old. I was also told that his condition would not degenerate and his current vision is 6/18 in both eyes. I am trying to find answers to 2 questions and I was wondering if you could help me with them:
1. Though the condition is not degenerative, is there a possibility of issues cropping up with his eyes that would normally occur with people having normal vision? For example, could he develop cataract at an early age?
2. And, more importantly, is there a cure, or at least a treatment which could make his vision better (enough to get a driver's license)? If not now, are there promising research that could help in, say, 5 years from now?

Cheers,
XXXXXX
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXX

As you already know foveal hypoplasia is not a degenerative condition.His vision will not worsen over a period of time.Since you have already ruled out albinism (which is the commonest cause) I dont think that he will have any associated eye problems like cataract, glaucoma etc.He will be able to lead a normal life.

As of today there is no treatment for isolated foveal hypoplasia.Retinal stem cell transplantation is a promising therapy which we all are waiting for.

Hope I have answered your queries.I will be available to answer any furthur queries if you have any.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah

Follow-up: Diagnosed with foveal hypoplasia. Chances of developing cataract. Is it curable? 18 minutes later
Thanks Doc. I am a myopic myself (-6D) and I clearly know how a myopic would see an image (blurred, of course) with uncorrected vision. However, I do not understand how my son would see the same image. It would help me immensely to understand this perspective so that I will know what aspects of his being I would need to look after. Would you be able to either describe or show me an image by which I will know how my son would see the world?

Cheers,
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
Generally they have blurred vision only for distance.Their near vision is usually good.But their binocular vision and stereopsis(depth perception) will be poor.

Also they might not be able to distinguish between subtle changes in colour.Hope I have answered your query to some extent.Simulated images are not available.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah

Follow-up: Diagnosed with foveal hypoplasia. Chances of developing cataract. Is it curable? 8 minutes later
Thanks. One last question.

Would you be able to direct me to an institute/website/journal where I can keep track of the latest developments in retinal stem cell therapy. I am also keen to sponsor studies towards this end.

Thanks for your patient and clear answers to my questions.

Cheers,
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXX

WWW.WWWW.WW is a good website.

I think some trial is going on at XXXXXX Jyot Eye Hospital in Mumbai.

Hope I have answered your queries.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah