Diagnosed with flu. Having cough, fever and nausea. Having pain in intestinal area. Took Ibuprofen. Should I see a doctor?

I am inquiring for my 17-year-old daughter who has been diagnosed with the flu. We are on day 7 and she still has a dry steady cough, 103 temp, nausea when she stands. She hasn't eaten anything to speak of in 7 days but she is able to drink. Today she says she has pain in her lower left intestinal area. She said it is noticeable when she walks (which is very little since she's weak) and when she coughs. Could there be a secondary condition going on with this flu? OUr family doc seemed to think she should be tested for asthma with the cough but I'm far more concerned with this ongoing high fever, etc. I'm also concerned that she's having Ibuprofen around the clock along with Cheratussin AC for 7 days. She isn't dehydrated and our Dr. said he's not as concerned about food intake as long as she can keep fluids down. She has now lost 9 pounds since this onset. She's petite to begin with so she doesn't have much to lose! When she trys to eat anything she has diarrhea and has vomited with this flu but it has not been chronic. I'm worried about this new lower pain she has. She doesn't seem to improve from one day to the next. Also, she had Mono in March so her immune system has taken a hit. Should we take her to an Urgent Care?
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 34 minutes later
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem I agree with you that she should be taken to urgent care. She is suffering from high fever along with cough, there is a very high possibility of secondary bacterial infection going along like pneumonitis. Plus she is not eating anything that is worrisome, in my opinion lack of eating will also worsen the situation even if she is not dehydrated.

She has been on supportive medications but not responding to them . She requires urgent consultation with an experienced physician get her CBC, Chest X XXXXXXX USG Abdomen and other routine evaluation to look out for exact cause. USG abdomen will determine the cause for abdominal pain.

It will be very difficult to say anything just on history but she needs immediate attention, antipyretics like paracetamol to relieve fever, antacid like pantaprazole and domperidone to relieve vomiting , may be antibiotics if any infection is suspected and other supportive medication.

Kindly seek immediate medical help.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Diagnosed with flu. Having cough, fever and nausea. Having pain in intestinal area. Took Ibuprofen. Should I see a doctor? 1 hour later
Thank you for your quick response. I am leaving for the Urgent Care office now. I feel relieved that I am not being the over-the-top mom in that you agree with my concerns. Our family Dr. did say Rachael's lungs sounded clear but that was 48 hours ago and she is no better. I agree with you that something secondary has developed. I will let you know what we find. God bless you.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 5 minutes later
Dear Madam,

Thanks for getting back .

Ofcourse there is concern with persisting cough , high grade fever, loss of appetite since 7 days despite supportive medications . There is a very high possibility for infection which requires immediate attention . Kindly let me know whatever doctors find out.

Dr. Shruti