Diagnosed with flu 10 month after birth. Child having pain in knee. Is this a sign of HIV?

My 3 year old daughter has been complaining about hurting behind her knee in both legs. Not everyday, but somedays. Is that a sign of HIV??? I've never been diagnosed with HIV, but I might have been exposed 2 and a half months prior to her delivery. I had a HIV test that was negative at 11 weeks. I had sex with my wife once or twice 2 1/2 months prior to her delivery. So is it possible for me to have given my wife HIV along with my child, which is 3 as of Saturday. She was diagnosed with the flu about 10 months after she was born. I've been paranoid every since. I'm about to loose my mind. She's had a couple of ear infections... One upper respiratory infection, and a couple of colds since she was born. She also had to get tubes in her ears because her ears wasn't draining properly. The doctor said that was causing the couple of ear infections that she had over the 3 years.She go to the doctor regularly, and she's current on all of her shots. Her doctor says she in the 97 percentile as for growth. She's 45 PDS... And she doesn't show any signs of disabilities... What do u think doc? I'm waiting for a thorough answer. Please contact me soon...
Doc, please give me your honest answer!!!
Posted Sun, 21 Oct 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Pain in the knees is not a known symptom of HIV.
The repeated upper respiratory tract infections (this includes any infection of the sinuses,nasal passages,pharynx and larynx) your daughter experiences is common in her age group. Prescholers may have up to nine colds per year and kindergardeners 12 per year because they are now building immunity.
Ear infections are also common in her age group and can often follow or be part of a common cold.
The fact that she had the flu when she was 10 months old is not unusual, children are very susceptible to the flu virus because of their poor immunity or poor ability to fight infection.This is the reason doctors are always recommending that children, at least, get the flu shot.

The fact that your HIV test was negative at 11 weeks should be reassuring. The standard screening test done for HIV, checks for antibodies to the virus.Antibodies to a particular virus or bacteria are formed when we are infected by that virus or bacteria. They can take a little while to form , this is the reason that in cases of high risk , the test is repeated at 12 wks to 24 wks to confirm a negative result.
At 11 weeks , a negative result is likely to be truly negative.

If you remain worried you can consider repeating the HIV test on yourself.

I hope this helps,feel free to ask anything else
Follow-up: Diagnosed with flu 10 month after birth. Child having pain in knee. Is this a sign of HIV? 1 hour later
If a person have contacted HIV, how long afterwards that they begin to encounter burning sensations all over their arms and soreness in elbow joints? Do the pin and needle sensations start after the 3 month test period?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 hours later

The above are not symptoms (pins and needles,soreness) that are commonly reported with HIV exposure, though everyone is different.
In the initial transmission of HIV (in the weeks after exposure), some persons may have no symptoms whereas others would have symptoms similiar to the flu. (this is not connected to your daughter having the flu at 10 mths, children with HIV usual fail to thrive and your doctor would have noted impaired growth in your daughter).
The flu like symtoms exposed persons may experience would be fatigue,lethargy, joint pain, headache,fever,enlarged lymph glands.These may occur several days to weeks after exposure and then disappear.

The best way for you to definately ease your mind about the possibility of HIV would be to have a repeat test.

I hope this helps you, feel free to ask any other questions