Ask a Dentist   »  

Diagnosed with fibromyalgia, have achy knees and sore jaw. Suggest?

i am 57 years old and been diagnosed with fibromyalgia,,i have ache behind my knees and my jaw is sore at both sides at lower jaw bone.sometimes my jaw crunches and when i move it side to side it ofter grates.thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 7 Oct 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to health care magic forum.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Soreness of jaws as well as crunching while moving jaws can occur due to dislocation or inflammation of jaws. It may not be related to fibromyalgia. Therefore a detailed clinical as well as OPG Radio graph investigations will help to rule out the inflammation or dislocation of jaws underlying.

Usually we start amoxycillin along with pain medications and muscle relaxants in such cases. If X-ray should dislocated jaws, it has to be immobilized using splinting or fixation techniques.

Please do visit an oral maxillo facial surgeon to diagnose the exact cause.

Meanwhile, avoid mouth opening too widely as well as avoid biting on hard objects.

Knee aches may be related to fibromyalgia; you may discuss about this concern with your physician.

Hope this helps you.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with fibromyalgia, have achy knees and sore jaw. Suggest? 21 minutes later
i was diagnosed 4 years ago by oral surgeon as being a tmj problem..haven't been bad for ages..but all of a sudden wham sore on both sides..i have an appt with my dentist next wek so will ask about xrays..
woul this cause lower jawbone pain on both sides
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your response.

Bilateral maxillary TMJ Problem or dislocation of Condyles can cause pain on both sides of jaws.

Since you have appointment with your dentist ,you can get the treatment initiated at the earliest.

Also make sure that you are administering medication as prescribed by your physician or dentist.

Hope I have clarified your doubts.

I wish you speedy recovery.