Diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Feeling muscles spasm in back, shoulders, hips and tired. Any suggestion?

I have been recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia & have wondered if I should suggest to my family doctor to test me for MS. I have severe muscle spasms in my back, right shoulder & hips. Sometimes I can have the muscle spasms so bad that they cause the muscle in that area to ball up & get real hard. If I try to have someone massage it, that just makes it worse. I am tired all the time & when I get real tired, I have difficulty with my speech. I start stuttering or I know what I want to say but the words won't come out of my mouth.
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
All your symptoms apart from the speech issues could be due to the fibromyalgia. The speech problems definitely mandate an evaluation and multiple sclerosis is one of the things you should be evaluated for. Although MS can cause tingling or a pins and needles sensations, it can also cause fatigue and speech issues. It does not normally lead to the severe muscular pain that you're experiencing, atleast in the early stages. It usually causes a shooting or burning pain which I dont think you have.
In all, we could be possibly be looking at 2 co-existing disorders. Please see your physician.
I hope that addresses your concerns. Let me know if you have any more questions.