Diagnosed with fatty liver. What food should I avoid?

Hi, I have a few questions. I was diagnosed with fatty liver and decided to make some lifestyle changes. As a mother of two I'd like to stick around here on earth to see some great grandkids. I'm just not sure wear to start. So I needed some starting tips. From calorie intake as a 25 year old female, Who only does the average walking exercise chasing two toddlers. As of today my diet consists no carbonated drinks and i also watch my sugar & salt intake. I also try to eat more raw vegetables. Are there any other foods to avoid or that i should limit to? How many pounds should I lose a week/month?
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: 2000-2200 Calorie per day. 1 - 2 pound per week. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query and understand your concern. There is no specific treatment for Fatty liver at this stage. Please follow the tips which i given below. 1. Take foods high in complex carbohydrates such as brown rice and whole grains. 2. Try to avoid wheat because it contains phytic acid which can keep some minerals from being absorbed and because it contains gluten which can damage the small intestine. 3. Reduce your consumption of refined and simple carbohydrates like those found in sugar, white bread, egg noodles, cakes, and many desserts. 4. Eat plenty of servings of fruits and vegetables every single day. These can be taken as raw vegetable juices which can be extremely healthy for the liver. Not all fruits and vegetables are created equal and things like oranges and grapefruits are better for fatty liver patients than fruits containing high levels of fructose such as dates, raisins, and figs. 5. Do not take deep fried, fatty, and processed foods. 6. Processed meats such as sausage and hot dogs are some of the worst if you suffer from fatty liver disease. 7. Dairy products should be consumed sparingly. 8. Try organic yogurts and cottage cheese. 9. Soy and rice milks are better than whole or 2% milks. 10. Avoid saturated fats like those found in margarine and fatty condiments like salad dressing. 11. Sugary fruit juices, energy drinks, coffee, and alcohol should all be avoided or used sparingly. 12. If you suffer from alcoholic fatty liver disease, then all alcohol should be avoided. 13. Free range meats are best as they don’t contain harmful steroids, growth hormones, and other antibiotics. 14. Consume eggs sparingly as they often contain hormones that can negatively impact the liver. 15.Consume plenty of fiber as part of a fatty liver disease diet to maintain a healthy digestive and endocrine system. 16. Drink plenty of water. 2 liters per day or more is recommended. At this age, with Moderate activity you need 2000 to 2200 calories per day. You can aim to loss 1 to 2 pounds per week by regular exercise and diet control. Better have atleast 45 minutes of exercise per day for atleast 5 days a week. Hope this helps. Please reply for further queries. Wishing you good health
Follow-up: Diagnosed with fatty liver. What food should I avoid? 1 hour later
As of two months ago I started to diet and cut back on calories down to 1200. Starting weight was 235lbs and as of today I'm down to 204lbs. Losing 31lbs in a two month period is it unhealthy? you mentioned that the health weight loss of 1-2lbs per week, is a drastic weight loss like that harmful for someone with fatty liver? I forgot to mention my height 5'8"
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Slower your weight reduction.Water may be a loss. Detailed Answer: Hello, Weight loss for about 1 to 2 pounds is typically recommended for all those who are obese as well as for fatty liver patients. We not at all recommend quicker weight loss. Because, quicker weight loss there is no reduction in fat. Instead your water and protein in the body is lost. You have reduced around 4 pounds per week. It is very hard to reduce the fat in the body in such a short term. Remember that 1 pound (0.45 kilogram) of fat contains 3,500 calories. So to lose 1 pound a week, you need to burn 500 more calories than you eat each day (500 calories x 7 days = 3,500 calories). Thus i advise you to follow the above said diet and have regular exercise. Try relaxing techniques like Yoga and Meditation. Hope this helps. Please reply for further queries. Wishing you good health. Regards, Dr.Manjeth