Diagnosed with factor five. Had several clots. What to do?

Hello Doctor. I am a 31 year old male who was diagnosed with factor five (hetero). I have never had a clot. I got tested years ago because my mother had several clots and is a carrier. Looking ahead, what should I be doing about my disorder? I understand the risks are still low for me but I am worried because my mother has had them (clots) and I fear I will too in my lifetime. Can you help me put this in perspective. I also read that people my age are also more prone for clots (1 in 100) and that in my 40s it is 1 in 1,000).
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Excellent question

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending your question.

This is a very good question. you are correct in your statement that having this condition does slightly increase your risk for thrombosis compared to the general population but not significantly enough to put you on long-term anticoagulation.

however, if you were to develop a thrombosis at some point in the future that situation must be reviewed once again. For example if you were to develop a blood clot suddenly without any predisposing factors such as a recent surgery, trauma, fall or extended trip then your doctor might consider long-term anticoagulation.

As you look forward to the future I think it is important for you to make sure you discuss your condition with every physician that you XXXXXXX Also if you need to have any type of procedure or surgery it is important that the surgeon knows about this as well. Sometimes we use more aggressive protective anticoagulation after surgery in patients who might have a predisposition to develop blood clots in that setting.

I wonder if your mother had her episodes of thrombosis around the time of surgery or childbirth or extended car trip or airplane trip.

otherwise it's reported that you maintain optimal health and exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight. Prolonged periods of connectivity are also potential risk factors for thrombosis. In this sense also when you go on long trips it is important that you get up and move around on a frequent basis.

Thanks again for sending your very good question. Please let me know if I can be of any additional assistance.

Dr. Galamaga