Diagnosed with esophagitis Grade B with multiple stomach ulcers. Found low iron content in blood. Any cure?

Question
I have been diagnosed with esophagitis Grade B with multiple stomach ulcers and my low iron content in my blood.
What is the cure?
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Peptic Ulcer

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 23 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- http://bit.ly/Dr-Prasad-Akole) and am glad to address to your query here.

You have a chronic dyspepsia (acidity) with oesophagitis and gastric ulcers.

You need careful treatment as you are bleeding from the ulcers slowly causing low iron content.

Have you been tested for H. pylori infection (common cause of dyspepsia) and treated?
Was hemoglobin very low?
Is the stool black in colour?
Do you get regurgitation/ sour eructations on lying flat?
What other tests and treatments were taken so far?
You may be treated accordingly.

A stomach coating agent like sucralfate may help the lining of the stomach from acid damage (in addition to acid blocking rabeprazole). A foaming agent like simethicone also may help.

H. pylori, if found, can be treated with antibiotic regimens.
Avoid oily, spicy food, alcohols. Sleep reclining up (to prevent acid reflux).

It would greatly help if you could upload any reports here using the uploading service available on this site just below the text box. You can email the reports / scans to
YYYY@YYYY      with subject- (Attn: Dr. Prasad Akole)

I would recommend you an opinion of a gastroenterologist and be worked up for anaemia (low iron) and be treated.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at http://bit.ly/Dr-Prasad-Akole
Good Luck!

Follow-up: Diagnosed with esophagitis Grade B with multiple stomach ulcers. Found low iron content in blood. Any cure? 3 days later
This information that i sent you were the results of a gastroscopy that was ordered by a gastroenterologist. My concern is that by Taking the rabroprazole to ease the discomfort of the ulcers, was it also a cure? 'm requesting the tests that you have suggested.
Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 11 hours later

Rabeprazole (a proton pump inhibitor) prevents acid secretion by the stomach cells and hence reduces the inflammation and ulceration subsequent to it.

Its appropriate prolonged course is usually curative. A repeat examination and check endoscopy confirms improvement.

If the causative aetiology is different, it needs to be addressed as well (e.g. H. pylori infection, medications causing ulceration, digestive system pathology etc.)
I would advise checking for H. pylori, doing a hemogram, urea, creatinine, urine and stool routine and stool occult blood tests, ECG to begin with.

Be guided by your doctor’s advice. Anaemia needs to be treated according to the reports.

Good Luck!

It helps us to improve continuously if you could please write a rating review before you ‘accept’ and ‘close’ the query.
Thank you!!