Diagnosed with esophagitis. Getting nausea and burning abdomen. What is causing this?

General Surgeon
Question
I have recently been diagnosed with esophagitis - the only symptoms I get from this are a burning pain high up in my high up in my abdomen, nausea and loss of apetite. I have had this for 6 weeks now and having just started taking an anti acid prescribed by the hospital. My main concern though is the chronic fatigue I am experiencing. I have no energy, can barely get myself to the toilet nevermind look after my children. This has been ongoing now for 6 weeks and showing no signs of changing. I am normally a very active person working 30 hours a week, looking after 2 children and going to the gym 4+ times a week with no effort. This fatigue/weakness is seriously affecting my life. I have also just had an MRCP scan for gallstones but have not received the results yet. Can you tell me what is making me so tired? I am 39 and usually very fit.
Posted Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 51 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Were there upper GI endoscopy performed with Helicobacter Pylori test?
Your tiredness can be caused by low hemoglobin level (it is very common that esophagitis causes anemia), low amount of foods intake or (if there was no endoscopy) some stomach disease, thyroid diseases.
It is advisable for you to have full blood work performed to see if the hemoglobin level is low, amylase level, liver tests (AST,ALT,GGTP), thyroid tests.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with esophagitis. Getting nausea and burning abdomen. What is causing this? 24 minutes later
I had endoscopy and blood tests in hospital which they said were ok. Am feeling worse by the day. Any activity makes me feel faint. I am eating ok. Do you think I could have gallstones? I have pain below my ribs on right side which goes through to my back. I can't stay awake.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later
Hello!

Yes, you might suffer from gall stones. It gives exact pain described by you. Same pain can appear due to pancreas diseases. Gallstones usually gives symptoms after a meal and cause also nausea and vomiting.
The main problem with gall stones is that it can obstruct bile ducts. In such case, the pain gets really strong and it can lead to jaundice and acute pancreatitis. Gallstones should be visible in abdominal ultrasound as well as bile ducts. If gallstones do obstruct bile ducts it elevates liver tests especially GGTP. Jaundice gives also dark urine and whitish stool.

Regards.