Diagnosed with epididymitis. Prescribed cipro, bactrim. What is causing the infection if not an STD?

Oncologist, Surgical
I was diagnosed with epididymitis several months ago although my STD tests for Gonorhea and Chlamydia both were negative. I am 43 years old. Prescribed Cipro and cleared infection. A month later I was diagnosed the same in left testicle. Prescribed Bactrim and cleared infection. What could cause the infection if not an STD? Can I assume that Cipro did not clear initial infection so I had reoccurance in other testicle?
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 4 hours later
Dear Sir,

Epididymo-orchitis is an infection of the testis and the is not a sexually transmitted disease. It commonly occurs secondary to a doctor and get a urine culture and sensitivity done before starting the antibiotic. Getting an ultrasound of the scrotum will also be helpful.

Hope I have answered your question. Please feel free to ask any other query.