Diagnosed with enlargement of thyroid lobe,lump visible. FNAC normal, TFS normal. Remove surgically? Use treatment?

I am 62M. Diagnosed with enlargement of left thyroid lobe and have no physical discomfort. FNAC indicated no malignancy. TFS normal. The lump is visible and it developed most probably during last two years. Should I have it surgically removed or could I wait and watch? Is there any other treatment?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 21 hours later
You most likely have a thyroid nodule which statistically has a 90% chance of being benign in general. However, the presence of other risk factors changes this figure. Details are available on this web link

So for example if one has a family history of thyroid cancer or history of radiation exposure, then greater vigilance is warranted in managing this condition. In the low risk scenario, some people opt to monitor it with periodic ultrasound to see if it is growing significantly. It should be noted that even benign nodules grow.

This web link facilitates online calculation of the growth trend of thyroid nodule(s) over time. Any interval increase of more than 50% indicates the need to consider either an FNA (Fine Needle Aspiration) or a repeat FNA or surgical removal.

The practice of using thyroid medication to suppress the growth of thyroid nodules is now not recommended anymore as recent evidence has shown it is not as effective as previously thought.

Radioactive iodine ablation is not a commonly deployed option either.

The decision making in this regard is best made in consultation with a thyroid expert who periodically monitors the nodule and individually assess risk factors.