Diagnosed with eczema. Using momesate fuorate cream. Yellow spot appeared all over. Side effect?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2012
Jul 2012

Dermatologist
Question
I was diagnosed with exzcema now my skin has yellowish tint spots to it and fine barely visible scaling could momesate fuorate cream cause skin to turn yellow
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 3 hours later
Hi there.
I understand your concern after reading through your brief but concise history.
Yes long term use of a topical corticosteroid like mometasone furoate can cause the skin to look sallow or yellowish tinged amongst other changes like thinning of the skin & appearance of telangiectasia (small blood vessels seen through tthe top of the skin) et al.
Howeverm, from your description, one should also keep in mind the possibility of the presence of Pityriasis Versicolor..a topical fungal infection. Possibly a case for using 2% ketoconazole cream on the area twice/day for 1-2 weeks & this may help allievate any fungal infection while at the same time being in a 'cream' base could serve as an emollient for the eczema!
Good Luck & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD

Follow-up: Diagnosed with eczema. Using momesate fuorate cream. Yellow spot appeared all over. Side effect? 21 hours later
Is that a prescription

Nope most definitely not...as we are not allowed to prescribe online as per the site rules. What i have given you is the pharmacology ingredient present in a standard antifungal cream that may just be of use to you ;-) Please google & see the equivalent trade name in your area & perhaps you may be able to get it over the counter as a plain antifungal cream or even in a 'soap' format. This is to be applied as per your pharmacict's recomendation. Cheers & Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD