Diagnosed with ear infection. What does it mean when ear wax turns green?

ENT Specialist
what does it mean when your ear wax turns green?
my daughter was diagnosed w/an ear infection a week ago has completed her antibiotic but now has XXXXXXX drainage...what does this mean?
Posted Wed, 15 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

The greenish discharge from the ear indicates severe infection and the most probable resident bacteria could be pseudomonas.

The infection has not got completely resolved with the antibiotics. Your child will require a potent antibiotic ear drops (such as a combination of ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone) after getting a culture and sensitivity of the swab taken from the ear.

At present, please keep the ear clean, wipe off the discharge seen outside the ear. Avoid any water into the ear as it can worsen the ear infection. Consult your doctor at the earliest for a complete evaluation and further management.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon