Diagnosed with duodenal ulcer and gastritis. Can I take Tylenol and tramadol for arthritis pain?

Recently diagnosed with duodenal ulcer and gastritis probably caused from nsaid use - what can I safely take for arthritis pain - Tylenol, tramadol?
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Either can be used, do not affect the stomach

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

NSAIDS cause gastritis because they affect a particular enzyme abbreviated COX-1.
These drugs inhibit this enzyme and by doing so reduce the amount of a substance called prostaglandins.
These prostaglandins play a very important role in protecting the lining of the stomach from damage.

So because the NSAIDS reduce the prostagladin levels, they cause the stomach to become damaged and gastritis can occur.

Tramadol and tylenol do not act in this way. They both have mechanisms of action that vary from the NSAIDS ,so neither of these would causes gastritis.
Tramadol can cause nausea and for this reason is sometimes combined with an anti emetic medication.

Tylenol would work best if taken on an empty stomach.

YOu can use either,the tylenol would be for mild pain whereas the tramadol would more effectively treat moderate or severe pain.

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any additional questions