Diagnosed with diverticulosis. Having lower abdominal pain. Is this normal?

General Surgeon
I just experienced a month long bout of fever and nausea that was diagnosed as diverticulitis. It seems to have passed and this was confirmed with a CT scan that showed only the presence of diverticulosis. However, I have a lingering pain in the lower right side of my abdomen that is sometimes accompanied by a squeezing sensation. The pain is usually low level with twinges of intermittent greater pain. Is this a normal symptom of diverticulosis? Thank you!
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 28 minutes later
The symptoms of Diverticulosis include irregular defecation,cramping,bloating ,flatulence.
Your pain in the lower side of abdomen on the right side can be due to Diverticulosis.But,diverticulosis is seen in large intestine,comonly sigmoid colon which is present on left side.If the disease involves the right side of colon,then it can cause above symptoms.
Conditions like Appendicitis,Right ureteric/kidney stone,Right sided ovarian cyst etc should be excluded if patient complaints of right sided lower abdominal pain .
Please get an Ultrasound abdomen to confirm any other condition.
Colonoscopy should be done after 6 weeks of attack of Diverticulitis.
So,please get an Ultrasound abdomen.
Till then,please take the drugs which were prescribed for Diverticulosis.
Wish you good health
If you come back with ultrasound report,i will clarify further
Follow-up: Diagnosed with diverticulosis. Having lower abdominal pain. Is this normal? 12 minutes later
Thank you. I'll see if my physician would be willing to order an abdominal ultrasound. I had one a few years ago with no findings. My kidneys were under-functioning but I think that was mainly due to dehydration during the height of my illness and not any other problems. Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 7 hours later
Please come back with Ultrasound abdomen report so that i can have a look and give advice to you.
Wish you good health
Hope the report will come NORMAL.