Diagnosed with distal deffuse disease. Can I have whisky?

I am a cardiac patient for the last 15 years . It is diagnosed as distal deffuse disese. I had four times attack. My last heart attack was in 2007. Gods grace another attack was not there. I am on mediavtion and observing 90 % diet restrictions as advised by Doctor. can I have whisky or what are its limitations and advantages if any.
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Heart Attack
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Whiskey (alcohol) in a very small dose dilates blood vessel - there are better ways, with safer medicines, to dilate. Its harmful effects are more than its benefits. More than 50 ml in a day is harmful. It is difficult to stop at this level. It can harm several systems - liver, brain heart and so on. It is addictive.

So DO NOT EVER TAKE WHISKEY. Why invite unwanted trouble?

God bless you
Follow-up: Diagnosed with distal deffuse disease. Can I have whisky? 10 hours later
ur answer is contrdictory doc. On one hand it is said over 50ML is harmful. From this one can infer that having the said limtis is safe. Infact I have twice a week 200 ml.

2 nd follow up question is whether blockages can be reversed or any medicine to dissolve. Which are other ways to dilate the blood vessel as you claimed in ur reply to me.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later

Sorry to see that some of our principles are not consonant with your practice.

There is no contradiction at all. In some studies, 50 ml in 24 hours has not been found to harm the heart. But it can harm the liver all the same – no amount of alcohol has been proved to be safe for the liver. There are a few conflicting and interesting studies but NO RECOGNISED MEDICAL BODY IN THE WORLD HAS OFFICIALLY APPROVED OR RECOMMENDED THE USE OF ALCOHOL for heart patients.

Most nitrates dilate blood vessels – glyceryl trinitrate, isosorbide mono or dinitrate are typical vasodilators in practice. Some calcium channel blockers (eg nifedipine, amlodipine) can dilate blood vessel. [The claims are from scientific community - not mine! as you claim!]

There is no approved medicine for reversing established chronic blockages. In experiments, (mostly not human) high HDL cholesterol is said to initiate the process.

Hopefully, I have answered the points, raised by you

Good luck
Follow-up: Diagnosed with distal deffuse disease. Can I have whisky? 6 hours later
Is by pass surgery absolute necessary.If 'NO' what steps one has to take ,for any reason he is not prepared. Is there any gurantee that another Bypass surgery may not require. Am I sounding little unpleasent to you Dr. However I do appreciate your apt reply. Be little more descriptive.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 11 hours later

Strict control of sugar, pressure, cholesterol / reduction of physical and mental tension / eliminating avoidable insult like smoking – are some factors proved in the long term to prevent or postpone another episode.
     There is no guarantee that another bypass may not be required – obstruction can recur in another place or even in the bypassed graft – there is no way to cure the original cause; bypass is managing the consequence only.
     Surgery is putting a graft from a point above the obstruction to a point below that – bypass. Therefore, it is possible only for focal involvement and for bigger blood vessels. It is not feasible in ‘diffuse distal disease’.
     Surgery is advised when ‘medical’ treatment is not controlling symptoms; when intervention (angioplasty) can not be done (for example complicated anatomy of the lesion).
     Surgery is better than medicine or the only option in some situations – example, complete obstruction of left main disease – in such situations, there is no alternative.
     Surgery is only an incidence in the course of management of the disease – medicines before and after are a must.
     Surgery and medicine achieve relief of symptoms and retard further progression of the disease. Many of the original factors causing the condition can not be modified – like age, heredity and so on. Some of course, can be modified – stopping smoking, low fat diet, exercise and so on.
Keep in touch with your doctor - regular follow is the best option. Stop worrying. Hopefully, all will be well

All the best