Diagnosed with diabeties. Should I go for revital capsules. Suggest some required test?

Question
I am 36 yrs old. I have been diagonised as diabetes last month. Currently i am taking 2 doses of Galvus 50 mg and metaformin 500mg. My doctor has told me to go thru weight reduction program. I have been able to reduce my weight by 2 kgs by now.

I am planning to take revital Capsules after lunch. Should i go with this nutrient supplement. Please provide me with any other supplement to be taken after meals for improving my condition.

I also want to know whether my diabetic condition is due to insulin resistance or insulin deficenecy. Please provide me with name of tests and also any physical signs to know the same.

XXXXXX
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 53 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Revital is a multivitamin, multimineral capsule containing Ginseng. It is used to improve health. You can take it.

You don't require any supplement.

When diabetes is due to body's failure to produce insulin, he has to be given insulin injections. This form (Type-I) is present since birth.

When diabetes is due to resistance to insulin (Type-II), medicines are given to improve sensitivity to insulin and to decrease glucose production by liver.

Your diabetic condition is primarily due to insulin resistance, which may be combined with relatively reduced insulin secretion.

As you are responding to treatment given for Type-II, separate tests are not required. Your blood sugar level should remain within normal range with treatment.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Diagnosed with diabeties. Should I go for revital capsules. Suggest some required test? 31 minutes later
Thanks for answering my query. I have some more questions,

I am going thru weight loss program. As per revital, in revital 1gm capsule contains 0.38 gm of fat, will this make any difference in my diet plan.

I have been using Accucheck to check my blood glucose level. Please tell me range for fasting, random and postnadal glucose levels.

Is type 2 diabetes curable?

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Welcome again,

Fat soluble vitamins are available through fats only. Every body requires some fat in his diet.

Normal Blood Glucose levels are:-

(i) Fasting : 63-108 mg/dl

(ii)Postprandial (2hrs) : <140 mg/dl

(iii) Random : 70-140 mg/dl

In routine testing Blood Glucose 2 hours after food is sufficient to monitor the dose of hypoglycemic drugs.

Diabetes is not curable. You can control your blood sugar levels.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Diagnosed with diabeties. Should I go for revital capsules. Suggest some required test? 26 hours later
I have some more quieries,
I have been taking Galvus 50mg twice a day. Should i take this dosage after meals or before.
Since i am on a weight loss program, I am planning to take Nestle Optifast nutrient drink atleast once in a day. Since it is unavailable in the market, Can u please recommend any equivalent meal replacement nutrition.

Thnaks for your time.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 21 minutes later

Welcome again,

Galvus 50 may be taken with or without food.

You can take Positrim of Amway.

With good wishes,