Diagnosed with diabetes, hypothyroidism. X-ray done for osteoarthritis, osteoporosis. What does the report indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014
Good

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I have my mom who is diabetic and has hypothyroidism. I am taking second opinion of the X-ray, to confirm whether she has osteoarthritis and/or osteoporosis.
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX

I have gone through the x-ray report attached. X-ray shows features of osteoarthritis more on right side and also having osteoporosis.

Hope this helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing her good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with diabetes, hypothyroidism. X-ray done for osteoarthritis, osteoporosis. What does the report indicate? 37 minutes later
Could you detail a little more?

What is the level of osteoarthritis and where? What could be the complications of having it?

Similarly for osteoporosis.

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 12 hours later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX

Level of osteoarthritis is at Sacroiliac joint and at hip joint.Osteoarthritis is wear and tear of joint. It could lead to joint pain and decrease range of motion.

Osteoporosis is more at level of neck of femur. It could lead to fracture on minimal trauma.

Best wishes.

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with diabetes, hypothyroidism. X-ray done for osteoarthritis, osteoporosis. What does the report indicate? 3 hours later
Considering she has osteoarthritis and osteoporosis, what're all the suggested exercise for her? Is it advisable to climb stairs, which is considered to be weight bearing?

She has ankle swelling and severe pain felt on massage, at the ankle joint especially. Is it because of these, mainly?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 hours later
Thanks for your query again.

She requires exercises and good physical therapy to strengthen the pelvic, posture and spine. It will help to increase mobility of spine and hips.
Suggested exercises for her are squats, lunges, hip extensions.
These exercises are good way to strengthen quadriceps, hamstring, lower back , hip and buttock muscle.
Do these exercises under guidence of a physiotherapist.

Ankle swelling and severe pain might be due to some arthritic changes or inflammatory process. Get this examined by an orthopaedic surgeon.

Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concern.

Wishing her good health
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon.