Diagnosed with diabetes and high SGPT, SGOT levels. Treatment?

I m 35 yr old I recently diagnose diabetes and high sgpt and sgot levels I.e 275 & 175 and also bilrubin 1.88 is it treatable
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Deranged Liver function may be due to fatty liver

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

Elevation in SGOT/SGPT in a diabetic patient is due to fatty liver most commonly. For which you have to get your lipid profile (which if deranged require treatment) and ultrasound abdomen to see for liver echotexture. You also need to get good glycaemic control that is sugar control, regular exercise at least 30 minutes / day, low fat diet, if obese or overweight then weight reduction, also tablets like ursodeoxycholic acid and vitamin E supplements , these all I found very useful in my patients

However you still need to be investigated for other causes for elevation of transaminase levels like:
1. Alcohol if you are taking then please avoid it
2. Other common and treatable causes like Hepatitis B and C virus, Serum ceruloplasmin for XXXXXXX disease, XXXXXXX and SMA for autoimmune disease

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon.