Diagnosed with diabetes. What precautions to take?

I was diagnosed with diabetes today. FBS: 159 and PBS 380.
My Mom and dad are also diabetic.
Please advise any precautions and how to proceed
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hypoglycemic drugs needed

Detailed Answer:

I am medical doctor, an associate in Department of Endocrinology, working with an experienced Diabetologist. I answer on his behalf.

Based on the blood sugar readings provided, I consider there is a need for you to me placed on Hypoglycemic (blood sugar reducing) drugs. This has to be done as soon as possible.

Also do get a test called HBA1C which indicates your blood sugar levels for past three months. Based on this reading the dosage of the medication can be planned.

Also a strict diet has to followed, consisting low carbohydrate and low fats.

Consume high-fiber complex carbohydrates—also known as slow-release carbs this compared to regular carbohydrates would not rise the sugar levels high. Whole grains, fruits , vegetables, legumes etc are XXXXXXX sources of such high-fiber complex carbohydrates.

Hope, I answered your query.