Diagnosed with diabetes. Not getting cured by gluformin g1. Any advice?

Aug 2012

My father is having diabetes for around 1 yr . He is on gluformin g1 once in a day but still his fasting & pp B.sugar is 150 & 190 respectively .pl advise.
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.
Your father is having diabetes type 2 which can be easily controlled with the tablets. For his age of 64 years, having post-meal sugar upto 180 mg/dl is absolutely acceptable. But we need to reduce the fasting plasma glucose to 100 to 120 mg/dl. For this just addition of Metformin SR 500 mg after dinner will take care of the fasting sugar and later automatically his post-meal sugar will drop to 150 to 160 mg/dl which are the readings less than 180 mg/dl. So please see a good physician or a diabetologist who will prescribe this for him.
Honestly, if your father is overweight then he will do great only with plain Metformin (and not the Metformin G-1) 1000mg, taken one after breakfast and one after dinner. His diabetes is just one year old so he will lose weight with this and sugars will also be nicely controlled further without any fear of hypoglycemia (lowering of blood glucose below normal). But please see a physician for this.
Also, having diabetes does not mean keeping watch only on sugars, hence please make sure his kidney function tests, liver function tests, full lipid profile, eye check up are done and well within recommended normal ranges.
I hope I answered your query. Take care.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with diabetes. Not getting cured by gluformin g1. Any advice? 14 minutes later
Thanks . Can you please advise diabebetic diet for him .
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 5 hours later
There is not anything like diabetic diet. He should follow a few general rules like:
- Not having more than 3 tsp of fat (oil/ghee/butter) throughout 24 hours
- Not having direct sugar more than 2 tsp per 24 hours
- Not having more than 2 fruit servings (1 serving= 1 orange or 3/4th XXXXXXX or 1 big guava or 1 medium banana or 1 medium chikoo or 1/2 of 200 gm weighing mango or 12 to 13 grapes or 1 mosambi or 15-20 strawberries etc) I have taken names of fruits which the Indian dieticians never like to allow the patients, but it is proven fact that patients better eat seasonal and local fruits in euivalent quntities. DO NOT HESITATE TO GIVE THESE FRUITS BUT IN THE GIVEN PROPORTIONS ONLY.
- Not having chapati or rotis more than 6 per day
If chapati and rice is eaten in the same meals then 1 chapati of about 50 gm has to be exchanged with 1 bowlful of cooked rice which is 100 gm.
- No more than 2 cups (total 400 ml) of milk or milk items made out of 2 cups of milk
- No more than 5 servings of non-veg items PER WEEK (1 serving = 1 egg white or 1 steamed fish 200 gm, or 150 gm of chicken)
- Not more than 10 to 15 nuts per day
He can eat salad items as and when he's hungry like steamed sprouts, cucumber, tomatoes, carrots etc if no contra-indication due to any other problem.
Vegetables like XXXXXXX peas and potatoes can be exchanged with chapati or rice in equivalent amount.
Then ask him to divide his all these items in 3 major meals and 3 small meals as per his convenience.
He will be fine with this.
Let me know if you want to know any other specific information.