Diagnosed with dermoid cyst on ovary. Feeling nausea, headache and bloating. Surgery needed?

Hi There. Just been diagnosed with 7.5cm x 5cm Dermoid Cyst on ovary. Am 43 yrs old,no children but was about to investigate fertility treatment. Am already booked to fly/travel 36 hrs door to door home in 3 weeks. Would rather be with my family when I have surgery than alone, but am concerned if I can fly. Symptoms currently like pregnancy with nausea, some dizziness, frequent urination, headaches, bloating. Currently feels like constant dull ache, but no fever or vomiting. Do I need to get surgery before I fly or can I go home safely for surgery?
Posted Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 38 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

The treatment of dermoid cyst is surgical removal.

The only problem if you delay the surgery is that you might have a risk of torsion (twisting), infection or rupture of the cyst. These complications are common when the size of the cyst is big, like in your case.

The symptoms you have mentioned like nausea, bloating, dull aching pain are due to large size of the dermoid.

If your pain gets severe or you have episodes of vomiting, fever then it suggests you are landing into complications.

No one can predict if you may land into complications while travelling.
However the rate of complications is higher when the dermoid is big or if your journey is associated with jerks or exertion.

Family support is needed while undergoing any treatment.

At present there is NO indication for an urgent surgery in your case.
So basically its your choice if you wish to delay the surgery for their presence.

I hope I have answered you.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with dermoid cyst on ovary. Feeling nausea, headache and bloating. Surgery needed? 15 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. One other question is if any of my eggs could be saved ( I am diagnosed perimenopausal already) if both ovaries needed to be removed during surgery?
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 24 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

If you have dermoid cyst only one side then your other ovary an be left behind which can produce eggs if you do not attain menopause.

However your age puts you under the risk of not ovulating even if the ovary is left behind as ovarian function ceases with age.

If you Blood test (FSH level to be specific) shows that your levels are high indicating ceasing ovarian function then it is better to get the other ovary removed and also if it is found diseased at the time of surgery.
Also leaving behind the other ovary might put you at risk of ovarian cyst later.

Removing both ovaries wont leave with you capacity of producing eggs that is ovulation.

The other option was undergoing an IVF cycle prior to surgery and retrieving your eggs prior to surgery. But in your case with this big fibroid the method of IVF involving ovarian stimulation could be risky and is usually contraindicated.

I hope I have answered you.