Ask a Homeopath   »  

Diagnosed with dermatomyocitis. Prescribed prednisone. Will it result in weight gain, mood changes? Suggest dosage?

i was diagnosed with dermatomyocitis a few years ago (female, 36 yrs old). my doctor wants to put me on prednisone, however i am terrified of taking it based on all of the side effects, mainly weight gain and mood changes. is there a way to lesson the dose of prednisone and supplement with chinese herbs?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Yoga
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for query.
The cause of dermatomyositis is supposed to be unknown however it is said that it results due to problem with body's immune system.
The mainstay of the treatment for Dermatomyositis is corticosteroids like prednisone and immunosuppressive medicines like methotrexate.
Dermatomyositis invades skin as well as multiple organs,thus severly influencing health and is even life threatening.
Therefore it is recognized as difficult disease with poor prognosis.
It is said that chineese herbs can regulate the immune system and improve the patient's health and life quality.
I advise you to talk to your doctor and explore the possibility of using Chinese herbs along with prednisolone.
Mind it,you can't do without prednisolone.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any follow up.
Thanks and wish you best of luck.