Diagnosed with depression and low level of thyroid hormone. Is this thyroid based problem?

I have been diagnosed with depression but also have slightly lowered levels of thyroid hormone. My father and grandmother have Hypothyroidism. I have extreme intolerance to cold, very achy muscles and fatigue. I eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly but have been struggling to not gain weight. I am 39. Have just started taking citilapram for depression but am wondering if the problem is actually thyroid based?
Posted Fri, 26 Oct 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 20 hours later
I understand your concerns. It is vital to know the laboratory results of thyroid function tests such as TSH and free T4. Even further tests like CBC, electrolytes,liver and kidney function tests along with thyroid antibodies ( TPO and TG antibodies ) will be useful in making the right diagnosis. Obviously a good physical examination to look for enlargement of the thyroid and other clinical signs , preferably by an experienced endocrinologist with interest in thyroid conditions, is most helpful. But I have noted the family history of thyroid problems you have reported. Your symptoms are suggestive of hypothyroidism. However we need an abnormal blood test result to be sure.
For more information please review WWW.WWWW.WW