Diagnosed with depression. Suggested antidepressants. Take medication for Petit Mal. Safe?

A counsellor has today diagnosed me with depression. he has asked me to make an appointment with my GP. He says that the GP will prescribe an antidepressant. I take medication for Petit Mal and wonder if this would interact adversely with the new tablets that I'll be prescribed.

Thank you in advance
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 57 minutes later

Thanks for using healthcare magic.

I have gone through your history. Let me know the name of antiepiletic you are taking.

Generally , anti epiletic drugs reduces the blood level of anti depressant drug so we need to adjust the dose accordingly.

There are some common side effects like gastritis, nausea with both medication.

There are some anti depressant drugs which has low drug interaction profile. To name few , citalopram or escitalopram.

Psychoatrist will definately consider this factor while choosing anti depressant drug.

You may also continue psychotherapy or stress management for better control over depression.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have further query.