Diagnosed with dengue fever. Have severe cold and nasal congestion. Suggest good remedy

Sep 2012

I had been diagnosed with dengue fever in Oct 2012 and after that in the last 4 months i have caught severe cold around 4-5 times. The problem has become so much that every 10-15 days i have to take an off from my office. At present also around 2 days back i have again caught cold and this time it has been very severe with a very severe nasal congestion.I am not even able to speak.I had taken OTC drug Nasivion for the purpose. Though it gives me relief lasting for 4-5 hours but then i have been told that one should not use it regularly as it is harmful. I am trying other home remedies like steam,saline water treatment but their is no improvement. Also would like to tell you that i also have acute sinusitis therefore i am very easily susceptible to colds. But this time the problem is very severe with strong nasal congestion happening this time.
Please suggest me a good remedy/medicine which can relieve me of my sinus cold and nasal congestion.
Posted Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 26 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, the basic problem in you is lack of body immunity. That leads to this type of repeated cough and cold. It is quite common after dengue.

So, what you have to do first is to improve your body immunity. For this you need to take fresh fruits regularly. Most importantly lemons and oranges. A multivitamin agent with micronutrients should also be taken.

Now, nasivion is a good solution. But, this should not be used continuously. But you can use it now. When the crisis is over, you can stop it.

Besides using the saline solution, steam, you should use an inhalant agent containing camphor, and others. You should dissolve an inhalant in steaming water and take that steam. It is very helpful.

One mucolytic agent should also be used.

One broad spectrum antibiotic agent should be considered. In this case, azithromycin group of drug is very helpful.

Lastly, consult general physician for clinical examination and a detailed prescription.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with dengue fever. Have severe cold and nasal congestion. Suggest good remedy 1 hour later
Thank you sir, i had consulted an ENT doctor and he prescribed me with antibiotic called MARZON 375mg (twice daily) and Tab.Zyrcold (once daily), however after almost 4 days of taking this medication, i dont find any improvement in my cold as well as the nasal congestion that has built up.

Would request you to help me with an alternate medication or if it is ok then let me know the time it will take me to be able to get rid of my problem.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 21 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, the drug marzon contains ampicillin and sulbactum. It is a good combination. But, the dose is lower than required.

And one more thing is the drug is not effective in you. So, consult with your treating doctor for considering azithromycin as i have told.

That is enough. Continue the other medicines I have mentioned.