Diagnosed with costochondritis. Getting severe body pain when breathing deeply or moving. Thoughts?

Oncologist, Surgical
Hi, I was diagnosed with Costco about 8 months ago. I was bed ridden for 3 months. It subsided occasionally for a few weeks and comes back. I just started another flare up this morning and no pain killers help. My biggest issues is that when I move, talk, adjust,and breathe deep i get severe spasms where I can not control my body and the pain is so excruciating I often vomit and can't control my body for a few minutes. I've seen so many doctors and no one can help me. What would your opinion be?
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 50 minutes later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Costochondritis can be really debilitating at times and oral pain killers usually don't work at that time. The best treatment is to get local injections of pain killers. You can even try local steroid injections as they are known to have long term action.
Fortunately this condition subsides on its own in a few months to a year.

Hope you get well soon. Please feel free to clarify any other query.