Diagnosed with congestive heart failure. Lungs and kidneys affected. Suggested to administer morphine. How long will he live?

Cardiologist
Question
Hello my father has been diagnosed with congestive heart failure. His heart is functionning at 25% therefore his lungs and kidneys are greatly affected. He has been in the hospital for 3 weeks. His legs and stomach are very swollen. He no longer eats and sleeps alot. His doctor suggested we think about the next step, stop his medication and administer morphine. My question how long will he last, days, weeks.. I would like to know if i should aks my out of town siblings to come for the weekend....
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following answer... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read the history of you father and I am sorry for experiencing such sad situation. According to your saying, your father's health condition is critical, that's why doctors suggested to stop medications and use morphine to ease his pains. With regards to your question about the longitivity of such situation, no doctor can give an exact answer as it depends on how the individual reacts and keeps on. I understand that you want to have your family gathered as such hard situation. I usually advise the relatives of my patients to have patience, and be altogether while going through this hard moment. All the best to your father and lots of patience and strength to all of you! Dr.Benard p.s. if you have further concern, please write me back!

Follow-up: Diagnosed with congestive heart failure. Lungs and kidneys affected. Suggested to administer morphine. How long will he live? 2 days later
Hello again, he is now semi consious, he opens his eyes once an hour for 5 seconds. He takes 12 breaths a minute and in stops breathing 20 seconds at a time. He is on 2 mg of morphine, 2.5 mg of versed and something else for his congested lungs, whenener he needs/asks. Any idea of time frmae? Should i be sleeping at his bedside ? I know this is a difficult question.

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 3 hours later
Brief Answer: It is advisable to be sleeping at his bedside... Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. The situation in which your father is now, it is very serious. Therefore, it is crucial to be assisted at his bedside. It is also advisable to ask his relatives to come and visit him. With regards to time frame, no doctor can really give a precise answer. Please bare in mind that his condition is very serious. Hope it answered your inquiries! Be strong! All the best! Dr.Benard

Follow-up: Diagnosed with congestive heart failure. Lungs and kidneys affected. Suggested to administer morphine. How long will he live? 9 hours later
Thank you

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please follow the suggestions below... Detailed Answer: I'm happy to find out that my advice somehow help you in this difficult situation.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with congestive heart failure. Lungs and kidneys affected. Suggested to administer morphine. How long will he live? 36 hours later
Good morning Thank you for all your comforting advice. My father peacefully passed away last night?He is in a better place. For your medical info, he was at the point of not breathing for 38 seconds at the end. His body temperature would go from cold to hot . Thank you for this website.

Brief Answer: Please accept my sincere condolences... Detailed Answer: Hi again, I am sorry for your loss. May the memories of your father help you find peace. Sincerely, Dr.Benard